Monday, August 18, 2014

The Last Will of Lionel, Duke of Clarence (1338-1368)


Illustrated from the tomb of Edward III

First duke of Clarence, second surviving son of Edward III.  Rumored to have been poisoned, it is more likely that Lionel died as a result of too much good living, eating and drinking: "His great riot and wynes delicacie, His Ghoste exilled from his corse doubtless" [Notes and queries, 7th series, vol. 9; London: Jan-June 1890, p. 482].

Abstract of will:

Lionel Duke of Clarence, in the house of the Duke of Milan, in the city of Alba, the 3d of October 1368.  My body to buried in the Church of the Friars Augustines at Clare, in the County of Suffolk; to Violenta, my wife, my vestments with gold coronets; to John de Bromwich, Knt. my courser called Gerfacon; to  Richard Musard, Knt. a girdle of gold and a courser called Maugeneleyn; to John de Capell, my chaplain, a girdle of gold, to make a chalice in memory of my soul; and to the said John my best portiforium (1) with musical notes; to Master Nicholas de Haddeley a small portiforium, without notes; to John Wayte, my chaplain, a portiforium, with notes; to Thomas Waleys a circle of gold, with which my brother and Lord was created Prince (2); to Edmund Mone the circle with which I was created Duke; to Nicholas Bekennesfeld x marks a year out of the manor of Bremsfeld.  And I appoint Violenta, my wife; Bartholomew Pigot, and John de Capell, my chaplain; and Sir John de Bromwich, Knight, my executors.  In the presence of Nicholas de Bekennesfeld, Robert Bradway, John Bray, and others.  Proved before William Archbishop of Canterbury 6 ides of June 1369, at Lambeth [Testamenta Vetusta, 1:70-71].
-----------------------------------------
(1) A book of the prayers, hymns, psalms, and readings for the canonical hours; a breviary
(2) Edward the Black Prince

****

Final resting place of Lionel, duke of Clarence, at the ruins of Clare Priory, Suffolk.  Buried on his right side is Lionel's 1st wife, Elizabeth de Burgh [Findagrave]:




No comments: